[kictanet] Alexa, I want to talk to a doctor

Wathagi Ndungu joywathagi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 08:51:26 EAT 2022

Hi David,

Good point. Well we've been having the eHealth strategy 2030
<http://publications.universalhealth2030.org/uploads/kenyanation_ehealth_strategy.pdf>
to embrace ICT use in health in response to SDG 9 and in turn increase
access to healthcare. We should know for a fact that Kenya has leading
Africa in digital health apps and medical devices.
<https://www.rvo.nl/sites/default/files/2021/05/2021-Kenya-Medical-Devices-eHealth.pdf>

Amazon's Alexa also works the same way in Kenya (as long as you are okay
with the data protection implications of smart home devices to entrust them
with such sensitive personal data).

*Some cool eHealth developments I would like to point out in Kenya:-*
1. mLab https://webfoundation.org/projects/mlab-east-africa/
2. Ushauri https://ushaurinew.mhealthkenya.co.ke/
3. Care for the Carer https://c4c.kenyahmis.org/
4. GoCare https://gocare.co.ke/ ( I like this tool because they bring
medical equipment to your home and you're also free to purchase some of it)
5. Kaiku https://kaikuhealth.com/ (helps cancer patients manage symptoms
digitalls. Basically a digital cancer screening & management clinic) Finn
company in now over 75 countries

*Free eHealth apps in Kenya:-*
https://www.similarweb.com/apps/top/google/store-rank/ke/medical/top-free/
 So many apps are included here for free in Kenya.

Ps. This is how the surge in digital health apps increased during the
Pandemic:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1284666/change-in-digital-health-services-usage-during-covid-19-lockdown-in-kenya/

*Useful resources:-*
https://www.mhealthkenya.org/ ( This is pretty awesome, "technology for
better health")- They monitor and evaluate current trends in digital
health and also lend their expertise in software development.
https://www.statista.com/outlook/dmo/digital-health/ehealth/ehealth-apps/kenya
(quite
impressive on our digital health Apps)

What other countries think we are doing in Africa:-
https://www.bmz.de/resource/blob/23694/c0810a41b99278c37b17cbce0e7dfb8a/Materialie345_Digital%20Health%20Ecosystem%20for%20African%20countries

Warm Regards,

Wathagi Ndungu

On Tue, 1 Mar 2022, 05:51 David Indeje via KICTANet, <