[kictanet] Invitation to Participate in ' Talk to IEBC'

Benson Muite benson_muite at emailplus.org
Tue Jul 19 10:11:49 EAT 2022

On 7/17/22 18:24, Grace Githaiga via KICTANet wrote:
> @Barrack Otieno <mailto:barrack at kictanet.or.ke> The IEBC should consider
> developing a voting app akin to the MPESA app. This would allow us to
> vote from wherever we are, and election day would not need to be a
> "holiday". We would also see less violence and voter movement,
> suspicions, long lines, etc. on D-Day.
Also minimize infectious disease transmission.

> Tech really should be an enabler to simplify processes. And if we trust
> transacting using our phones, why would we not do it to vote? I know
> this will not be possible for this year, but IEBC will have another five
> years within which this app can be developed (security features,
> authentication, etc) and tested.
There are still some concerns with an auditable system that allows for
private ballots, see for example
https://people.csail.mit.edu/rivest/Rivest-ElectronicVoting.pdf
Monetary transactions by phone can easily be audited, but do not have
significant privacy.