[kictanet] Invitation to Participate in ' Talk to IEBC'

Moses Karanja mosekaranja at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 10:06:49 EAT 2022

Two observations:

1. *Dedicate more attention to the official website as the main
communication channel. *There seems to be an assumption that Facebook
and Twitter are public spaces. If you compare the information posted on
IEBC's Facebook page and what is on their website, you will realize the
idea of /public access/ to information is compromised. Facebook does not
allow unsigned-in individuals to access more than a sneak peak of pages,
even the so called "public" ones, despite the claims they make. Facebook
also breaks RSS feeds every so often to force people to sign up on those
surveillance platforms. This is not a request to Facebook to make their
surveillance platform more public-friendly, rather a request to IEBC to
treat public information as truly public by investing in their official
website.

2. *Publish standardized machine readable data.* The report IEBC
published regarding 2013 election is different from what they published
in 2017 and it is again different from the 2022 tables. Posting PDFs
makes using that data harder and creates room for error as the
conversion of such data to formats like csv increases entropy. This
request has been made by so many people in the last decade+ you feel
there is more to this refusal than plain technical limits.

- Njoroge wa Karanja