[kictanet] Should streaming services pay ISPs for increased traffic?

Josiah Mugambi josiah.mugambi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 11:13:57 EAT 2021

Almost certain that Netflix content is mirrored in Korea given that:
- Netflix hosts on AWS
- AWS has availability zones
<https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/global-infrastructure/regions_az/> in
Seoul

This
<https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/30/south-korean-isp-sk-broadband-counterclaims-against-netflix-for-bandwidth-usage-fees/>
is also interesting:

"Meanwhile, another global streaming giant, Disney Plus, is set to launch
in South Korea in November. Disney Plus reportedly plans to use third-party
content delivery networks (CDNs) instead of using ISP’s networks to avoid
the bandwidth usage fees."

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 1:27 PM Kathy Mwai via KICTANet <

--
Josiah Mugambi