[kictanet] Should streaming services pay ISPs for increased traffic?

Kathy Mwai kathymwai at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 13:25:57 EAT 2021

I don't think that YouTube presents the same traffic problem to ISPs that
Netflix does. (By the way I'm an on and off Netflix subscriber so I haven't
particularly experienced any issues watching any big hyped shows like the
game of thrones or the Squid games at the moment) The nature of Netflix
content is similar to the movie theatres. When it's a blockbuster being
premiered like with the Bond movie this last week, the traffic to the movie
theaters is more as I experienced last weekend: But not when it's just
kawaida movies, and YouTube never churns out content in this fashion, so we
could remove them from the notorious list for now.

That being said, if anything I think it should only be Netflix
incentivising a rounded up figure not the content providers and if it means
Netflix deducts a cost from the content providers to forward to the ISPs,
so be it I suppose? At the end of the day, content gets broadcast as that
is the intention. Perhaps I'm being naive in imagining a perfect world
where such good business practices exist, but what if really? Or maybe once
5G becomes ubiquitous the conversation will change...

--
*Dream and Your Dreams Will Fall Short <kathymwai at gmail.com>...*