[kictanet] How do we use Social Media Responsibly and how can Social Media Giants improve their Operations?

Josiah Mugambi josiah.mugambi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 11:23:18 EAT 2021

I found this interesting from last week:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20210929/17352047662/facebooks-latest-scandals-banality-hubris-messiness-humanity.shtml

extract:

"...my impression of much of Facebook leadership is that they've bought a
bit too much into the myth of their own brilliance, and their own ability
to work their way through challenges -- at the size and scale of an
operation that isn't just providing a service to basically a third of the
globe, but which is also seeking to get those people to interact with one
another. Nearly all of human history is about our general failures to get
along with one another, and many of the problems facing Facebook are also
of that very nature.

There is something of an open question about which of these problems are
merely revealed or exposed due to Facebook, which are exacerbated by
Facebook, and which are actually decreased by Facebook. It seems likely
that all three of these forces are at play, and there is no one who has a
full grasp on how to deal with the problems that are a part of human nature
-- or how to try to minimize humanity's worst impulses across the globe. I
don't think Facebook has the answers, but sometimes I fear that some of the
leaders at the company think that they do -- or that they can outthink the
world in how they approach these problems.

The issues, which become clear in all of this reporting, are not of a
company that is nefariously run by evil geniuses toying with people's minds
(as some would have you believe
<https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200928/11452045401/social-dilemma-manipulates-you-with-misinformation-as-it-tries-to-warn-you-manipulation-misinformation.shtml>).
Nor is it incompetent buffoons careening human society into a ditch under a
billboard screaming "MOAR ENGAGEMENT! MOAR CLICKS!" It seems pretty clear
that they are decently smart, and decently competent people... who have
ended up in an impossible situation and *don't recognize that they can't
solve it all alone*."

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 11:07 AM Ali Hussein via KICTANet <

> Faustine
>
> Interesting thoughts. I suspect however anything decentralized doesn't
> necessarily mean good and is not an automatic panacea to what ails society.
>
> Regards
>
> *Ali Hussein*
>
> Fintech | Digital Transformation
>

> Tel: +254 713 601113
>
> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>
> Skype: abu-jomo

> <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>
>

> Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
> mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
> organizations that I work with.
>

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 8:23 AM Faustine Ngila via KICTANet <
>

>> Hello Hussein,
>>
>> There's a solution in DeSo. Decentralised Social ensures there are
>> several independent layers for every social media platform.
>>
>> When Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, Oculus and Whatsapp were down, the
>> idea of a blockchain dedicated to decentralizing social media and avoiding
>> exactly the kind of service outages that centralized organizations invite,
>> became more relevant.
>>
>> DeSo is a Layer-1 blockchain built to decentralize social media
>> applications at scale. A token supporting BitClout, the crypto social
>> network that allows each creator to have their own tokens that can be
>> bought and sold by followers is also needed.
>>
>> DeSo will decentralize the normally centralized data collected by social
>> media applications. It puts content and intellectual property ownership
>> back into the hands of creators on social. It creates a way for creators to
>> have direct relationships with followers without intermediaries, unlocking
>> new ways to engage and monetize audiences without ads.
>>
>> So cases of social media companies prioritising growth over safety will
>> be unheard of in DeSo. It also comes with better private data protection
>> measures.
>>
>> On Wed, 6 Oct 2021, 07:52 Ali Hussein via KICTANet, <
>>
>>> Listers
>>>
>>> This has not been a good week for Facebook.
>>>
>>> From the massive downtime to the *#facebookwhistleblower* saga.
>>>
>>> I'm just wondering aloud...
>>>
>>> 1. .Is it time for society to take a hard look at itself?
>>> 2. Are we hating on *#Socialmedia* too much? Is this an easy way out?
>>> 3. Where's the middle ground? Is there one?

--
Josiah Mugambi