[kictanet] Fwd: [Internet Policy] Two major developments that are a major threat to privacy

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 08:40:19 EAT 2020

Listers,

Might be of interest.

Regards

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond via InternetPolicy <
internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org>
Date: Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 3:01 AM
Subject: [Internet Policy] Two major developments that are a major threat
to privacy
To: internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org <InternetPolicy at elists.isoc.org>

Dear colleagues,

with much of this mailing list's discussions monopolised by the PIR sale
debate, I thought I'd mention two articles that deserve reading, which
point to the fact that we might be just months away from privacy dying a
very prompt death. I find it sad that only a handful of organisations are
making noise about this, and even sadder that the Internet Society nor any
of its members appear to understand this this is all Internet-related and
therefore of utmost importance.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51188669  -- China's facial
recognition coming to a place near you. The video in this report is that of
the well publicised test by a UK reporter to see how long it takes for him
to be (a) identified and (b) apprehended after his face being added to the
system

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/the-secretive-company-that-might-end-privacy-as-we-know-it/ar-BBZ57OT
-- it's just a matter of months before privacy stops existing altogether
and everyone is identified on the streets. Clearview is one such company
selling your face. There are several others in the pipeline. Governments
really do not need to implement all the surveillance themselves, it's all
going to be available commercially. I am now waiting for the day when the
database of 3Bn identities gets hacked and we end up with massive identity
fraud. Plus all the other Armageddon scenarios around this kind of database
being used.

I can also foresee apps and web sites for trackmygirlfriend.com and
trackmyemployee.com and the more horrific namethatchild.com which pedofiles
will like.

Of course, none of this has been deemed to be in the Internet Society's
Remit for 2020, so I'm probably sending this to the wrong forum. Let's get
back to bashing the PIR sale sandbox.

Kindest regards,

Olivier
and go to the Interests tab within your profile.
-
View the Internet Society Code of Conduct:
https://www.internetsociety.org/become-a-member/code-of-conduct/

--
Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277