[kictanet] Day 1 Discussions: Digital Hailing Services Regulations

william mathenge willbill.mathenge at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 07:45:27 EAT 2020

Hi Liz & all,

Sincere apologies for coming in late.
With the recent discussions on SWVL and how it has revolutionized the
public transport industry, a lot can be done by all policy
stakeholders. Perhaps the regulations would have made room for an
ad-hoc committee of sorts to interact with digital mobility services
on a periodic basis in the usual catch uo between regulation and
technology.
That being said, the NYS bus service was a perfect opportunity to
integrate digital mobility while giving consideration to financial
inclusivity to provide a progressive public transport system. It is
noteworthy that the ongoing debate against SWVL tends to focus on the
fact that it is somewhat 'expensive'
Secondly the regulations may have also considered controlling the
extent to which user data may be processed for planning & commercial
purposes within reasonable terms while looking towards Nairobi being
and reaping the benefits of a Smart Capital City.
All the same they are commendable and one cannot reiterate enough what
Barrack mentioned that:
"We need a holistic conversation on mobility as a Nation and how we
can leverage technology to meet our mobility needs while paying
attention to the unique local circumstances and challenges faced by
operators and users alike"

Kind regards,
William (Bill) Mathenge
Trainee Advocate