[kictanet] Day 1 Discussions: Digital Hailing Services Regulations

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Mon Feb 10 21:51:31 EAT 2020

Thank you Liz for these discussions.

My views are

1. The original idea of digital hailing apps was not to add new licence
classes and regulations in our statutes but was to share free seats in
personal cars. When driving along the city, I carry with me 4 empty seats.
I take empty seats to Nairobi, and back. Next time while on the road, check
the number of cars passing by ferrying only the driver - translating to
more fuel used, more roads damaged, more traffic hours, more spare parts
used, etc. Sharing that empty utility can save the country some good money,
especially in foreign exchange (everything in cars is imported). The
process of private citizens carrying other road users going in the same
direction should be at the centre of digital hailing. It should be
encouraged and promoted, Onboarding should be seamless, and cost-free, and
private drivers SHOULD be allowed to participate. After all, we know our
public transport system is broken and not as reliable. Public transport
should be one area that the government gets correctly. It is easy to
implement, and enforce. But we have refused. We want to thrive in chaos.

2. Foreign digital hailing apps should NOT be allowed to set-up shop in
Kenya. We should not open up industries to foreigners that can be done
perfectly by locals. You cannot have a digital hailing client, working
tirelessly 365 days a year, earning, paying for the hailing service, and
that capital goes to Dubai or California. You cannot have a digital hailing
service investor paying a percentage of his income for the capital to fly
abroad. Those are failed policies. Indeed, some  Prevent capital flight for
cottage industries. There is no value that foreign taxi-hailing apps bring
to this economy rather than harvesting human capital.
______________________
Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mwendwa-kivuva

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 at 12:08, Ali Hussein via kictanet <

> [...]
> contractors,with the disruption of traditional employment models?
>
> 2 The new regulations require digital service operators to operate under
> Kenya laws,does Labor Laws apply?drivers have in the past complained of
> lack of representation when deactivated,lack of consultations on price
> fixing e.t.c?
>
> 3.What effect does the regulations have on Data protection,specifically
> data retention .For instance,the regulations require operators to maintain
> personal data for period of 3 years,will the operators be required to
> obtain authorization from Data Commissioner,since they are Data controllers
> and data processors?
>
> 4.What effect does the new regulations have on the model of the gig
> economy?Does it rip off the independence and flexibility characterised by
> the gig economy?
>

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 11:26 AM John Kieti <jkieti at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> From the apparent justifications for the regulations, I think some issues
>> are being conflated, unfortunately. I am thinking at least 3 issues exist
>> and could be dealt with separately.
>>
>> 1. *Accidents and crime *- Might it help to broaden the regulations to
>> cover normal offline taxis. If anything digital taxi-hailing provides
>> increased possibility for passenger safety than normal taxis. It seems
>> pointless to provide a fix for what is not really broken.
>> 2.* Owners / Drivers / Operator feuding on commercials* -  These ideally
>> should be maintained as commercial leasing agreements (drivers with owners)
>> and marketing service agreements (Drivers with operators). The
>> employer-employee narrative misses the point on the platform economy where
>> actors should be considered autonomous and responsive to the market forces.
>> 3. *Tax evasion and revenue collection - *This seems to be the main
>> thrust of the regulations. To check on tax evasion by operators - Uber,
>> Bolt, etc is welcome and timely. Legal technicalities on tax avoidance will
>> remain. To squeeze out more taxes and fees from drivers and vehicle owners
>> is fair - not sure about timely - If it were me, I would let the gig
>> economy grow roots first, for a couple more years.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 9:10 AM Liz Orembo via kictanet <
>>

>>> Good morning listers,
>>>
>>> Today we will talk about Digital Hailing Services Regulations and the
>>> licensing of the Service Operators under part 1 of the regulations.
>>>
>>> Looking at the document, it seems like the NTSA is trying to regulate
>>> the industry following the recent incidents that have come up: eg
>>> accidents, assisted crimes and digital taxi drivers woes. These regulations
>>> will require any digital hailing services; Uber, Bolt, and Swivl, to
>>> register in Kenya and operate under the Kenyan laws. They will also obtain
>>> operating licences from the NTSA.
>>>
>>> We would like to hear your views on this:

>>> b. Is NTSA the right/best body to regulate Digital Hailing Transport
>>> Services?

>>> https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2020-02-04-uber-bolt-among-taxi-apps-ordered-to-get-licences-or-get-off-road/