[kictanet] Tech Solutions for Covid-19

Mildred Achoch mildandred at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 08:54:14 EAT 2020

Dear Listers,

As someone in the film industry, I am captivated by the idea of reviving
drivein movie theatres. Films may seem trivial at this time but there is no
denying the power of art therapy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamos/2020/03/30/texas-cinemas-drive-in-is-a-blockbuster-opening-weekend-hit/#5df0e0c25d6a

Regards,
Mildred Achoch.

On Sunday, April 5, 2020, Grace Githaiga via kictanet <

> Indeed Liz. Good that you will conflate the two threads as they speak to
> the same issues.
>
> I couldn't agree more to the views expressed by majority of listers on the
> need to make Internet a basic right. Cory (as Noah has referred to covid)
> has necessitated remote working and use of internet to deliver services,
> and is now becoming the 'new normal'.
>
> See how some everyday tasks are panning out during this covid19:
>
> Education: we have seen several institutions/companies offering their
> online content to students and pupils for free.
>
> Health: Health providers have sent out text messages that people can now
> access  a doctor from the comfort of their homes. One only needs to
> download an app and sign up with their health insurance membership.
>
> Access to food, water and basic commodities: Most of us have received
> messages from Nairobi Water urging us to utilize their pay bill number in
> line with observing social distancing.
> Supermarkets have texted us to utilize their online services to avoid
> crowding, and even farmers choice now has a 'kwa estate' delivery service.
>
> Churches have gone online with sermons including today's Palm Sunday Mass
> from Holy Family Basilica streamed live.
>
> These are all basics for citizens. But how many are able to access these
> online services? I have in mind the children in our rural schools where
> there is no internet, or where people have to prioritize between food and
> bundles. Further, there are many who do not even have the tools to access
> these services mostly smart phones. Let us not forget that these tools
> (phones, comps, tablets) are also being taxed heavily presenting another
> challenge.
>
> Of importance though is that the Senate has this golden opportunity to put
> in place a policy or policies that prioritize the Internet as a tool for
> offering basic services. For example, we need a policy that will allow for
> schools/students and hospitals access a fast, stable and secure internet.
> There needs to be a policy that compels service providers to support such
> services as part of public service/good. And here, the idea suggested of
> having some 'internet days' would work so long as speeds are not throttled.
>
> There is also the Universal Service Fund which should be used to address
> to these connectivity gaps or else it may find itself being moved to
> support non ICT stuff.
>
> #Stayhome stay safe.
>
> Rgds
> GG
>

> *"Usiwai jidharau...ona sasa haka ka emoji (😷) kamepata kazi hivyo tu
> kimchezo!"*

> *Grace Githaiga*
>
> Twitter: @ggithaiga
>
> Skype: gracegithaiga
>
> Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gracegithaiga
>

> .*..**the most important office in a democracy is the citizen. So, you
> [...]

Check out the Rock 'n' roll film festival, Kenya TV Channel!
http://kenyarockfilmfestivaljournal.blogspot.com