[kictanet] KICA Amendments: compensation of telecommunication consumers for call drops

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 21:36:48 EAT 2019

Thank you Kivuva,

there are alot of questions in my head...

1. What does three call drops mean? is it when you are in the same
phone call and  you keep being disconnected and henve you can call
back thrice or you have called three different people and you keep
being disconnected?

2. What is the rationale of Ksh 10/- ? how diid they come to this figure?

3. Telecommunication companies offer more than just phone calls...what
happens to the other services?

To answer your question(s);

What are your thoughts on this new amendment?Is it adequate? No!! its
a very narrow thought.

 Does KICA cover all other telecommunications service consumers? No!!

#MyThoughts

On 10/24/19, Bitange Ndemo via kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
> We should also levy MPs Ksh. 10,000 every time they don't speak in
> Parliament.
>
> Ndemo.
>
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 12:25 PM Mwendwa Kivuva via kictanet <
>
>> The new amendments to KICA proposed by Hon. Elisha Odhiambo, MP,
>> published
>> on March 15th, 2019, seeks to add a new section 34A on the compensation
>> of
>> telecommunications consumers for call drops.
>>
>> 34A. (1) A licensee is liable to credit a consumer who initiates a call
>> that gets cut out after a connection by  Kenya Shillings ten worth of
>> airtime for each call drop within its network for a maximum of three call
>> drops per day
>> (2) A licensee shall not be liable to compensate a consumer, where a call
>> gets cut out due to third party interference on the licensee's connection
>> lines, inevitable accident or *force majeure*.
>>
>> The rationale of the bill is to make provisions for quality of service to
>> consumers making calls by compelling licensees in the telecommunications
>> industry to invest in infrastructure that will guarantee the quality of
>> service for consumers making calls.
>>
>> What are your thoughts on this new amendment? Is it adequate? Does KICA
>> cover all other telecommunications service consumers?
>>

>> Warm Regards

>> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
>> development.

>> online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and
>> bandwidth,

*'Chance Favors the prepared mind'** *- Louis Pasteur