[kictanet] Mesh Networks in South Africa

John Gitau jgitau at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 18:06:38 EAT 2019

So mawingu started off several years back. Part of their funding were
grants and partnerships to experiment with 'tv whitespace' (google that) as
a backhaul.

This allowed them longer range and they have slowly started offering
regular X-to the home services using a mix of whitespace,fiber and wireless
backhaul with cable into your house or WiFi. Very popular in Nanyuki and
its environs....

I'm involved with a team testing community based WiFi solutions with a
blockchain backend for instant settlement (smart contracts between the
bandwidth provider, kra, access point provider,the community and the
sponsor company) and the same mix with some interesting surprises of
technologies above.

Others to look at are POA WiFi, surfspot recently acquired by brck among
others....

Cooperative WiFi is a great way to go too...

JG

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, 16:26 Peter Wakaba via kictanet <