[kictanet] Digital solutions for Social Good

Patrick A. M. Maina pmaina2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 4 18:35:19 EAT 2019

 Hi Erick,
Which organization is doing this?
Is there a website that people can visit for more details?
How does the UK visa come into play? Is there a bootcamp in UK or something like that? Where are the details + past bootcamps?
How many startups are you looking to invest in? What is the range of investment amount? What kind of deal (debt, equity or convertible notes?)
Do you have a portfolio of startups that founders can contact to get independent info about the program?
Can you share your list of succesful investments, exits and big wins, including the duration under your portfolio?
What are the T&Cs and do they contain robust features (like non-disclosure, non-circumvent & non-compete provisions) to protect our hopeful enterpreneurs / youth from the risk of losing trade secrets and intellectual property that would be critical to their competitiveness and long-term survival?
I'm asking the above on behalf of inexperienced founders because there have been numerous cases in the past (in other platforms/fora) where "investors" call for pitches but in reality they are exploiting our policy vacuum to mine for ideas from our hopeful - but sometimes gullible - founders, which they ultimately pass on / sell to other startups (or to "partner" corporations) to avoid R&D costs.
GENERAL REMARKS (FROM A POLICY-GAP PERSPECTIVE)
Dear Listers,
While a "bounty" approach is often pitched to corporations / investors as a smart "cost saving" measure, it is, in reality, an economically destructive, ruthless, and inhumane form of intellectual property transfer because it relies on trickery and false hope to achieve unpublished agendas. It demoralizes our youth and stifles innovation by unfairly misallocating opportunity/reward to the undeserving, whose only advantage is their connection to capital gatekeepers.
Bounty programs pervert the idea of enterpreneurship, turning it into an unregulated GAMBLING affair, where for every one "jackpot winner" there are thousands of "losers" who discover that they handed over their IP to future competitors for FREE, and who are not protected from unfair future sale/exploitation of their mined IP.
Such programs have led to the rise to serial pitchers, a type of gambler who plays for the bounty, instead of real enterpreneurs who truly want to solve real problems. This has resulted in the rise of "shiny object" enterpreneurship that focuses on impressing ponzi-style investors rather creating value to society. More so when they predate on poor countries, where REAL opportunities are scarce and desperately needed.
It is unfortunate that ICT regulators have not yet recognized the real cost of such losses in terms of wealth transfer and destruction of jobs / opportunities. How do you create jobs without sources of sustainable advantage?
In a recent media interview, I heard CISCO's CEO say something very powerful when discussing Huawei. He said that if the US didn't care about IP, it would be a "third world country", because third world countries only focus on raw materials instead of innovations. Intellectual property is highly valued in developed economies. Paradoxically, poor countries tend to adopt policies that sustain poverty.
These general comments are not meant to cast shade on Erick's initiatives as I have no information to draw any objective conclusions, so I hope my motives will not be misunderstood. I have been consistent on highlighting IP mining risks in the past on this and other forums.
Without clear policies and rules, there is no telling what/who is really genuine, and our enterpreneurs remain vulnerabe to predation from within and from without. Our "wild wild west", "every man for himself" business landscape makes it difficult even for the genuine investors to get high quality, diverse pitches because of low trust levels (everyone loses).
It's sad to see our Universities and innovative MSMEs struggling to get funding yet they are sitting on billions of shillings in intellectual capital.

Hoping the Competition Authority and the Trade, Labor, Education & ICT ministries can team up with stakeholders (not just corporate reps who have a conflict of interest because they fear innovation, but also academia, independent innovators, enterpreneurs and MSME reps) to solve this at policy level. If you need ideas or help in architecting this, feel free to onboard me.
Economic prosperity doesn't just happen on its own, or with ad-hoc "spray and pray" policies. It has to deliberately planned for, designed and implemented.
Good evening,
Patrick.
Patrick A. M. Maina[Cross-domain Innovator | Independent Public Policy Analyst - Indigenous Innovations]