[kictanet] Online discussion on State of Broadband - Policy day

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Apr 25 13:34:42 EAT 2019

Thank you Listers, we have had a great debate so far. There are so many
issues that have remained hanging on the first thread. I hope we can
continue debate on those issues, and tie the loose ends.

We will move on to broadband policies.

Here is a brief background. Kenya enacted a National Broadband Strategy in
2013. This was updated to the Draft National Broadband Strategy 2023
<https://ca.go.ke/public-consultation-on-the-national-broadband-strategy-for-kenya/>
that takes into account recent technological, industry trends and market
realities. The Draft strategy went through public participation in March
2019. It covers; Infrastructure and connectivity, Content services and
applications, Policy - regulations and Legislation, Capacity building and
innovations, Broadband devices, Finance and investment, Privacy and
Security, Role of stakeholders in expanding broadband penetration,
Governance and delivery framework. The outcome of the public participation
has not been released to the public by the National Broadband Strategy
Steering Committee. We hope to get an update on that.

We also have the ICT Policy 2006, and the yet to be ratified Draft ICT
policy 2016. The ICT policy should be the overarching policy on which the
other policies in the sector branch from. Probably we will get an
explanation on how new ICT related strategies are being drafted without an
updated ICT policy.

This leads to the following questions:

   1. How is the sector regulated and what complimentary policies are in
   place?
   2. What complimentary laws and regulations are in place that either
   stifle, or promote broadband?
   3. How is the business environment for those who want to venture into
   provision of broadband services?
   4. What policy interventions can be put in place to promote broadband
   uptake?

Looking forward to a great policy day.

Sincerely,