[kictanet] Online discussion on State of Broadband in Kenya

kanini mutemi kaninimutemi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 08:32:37 EAT 2019

Morning Kivuva,

Like many Kenyans, I love a double life (both urban and rural). While in
Nairobi of course I get a good connection- even 4G when I feel rich. What I
don’t like is the cost. Safaricom is my provider and though the speeds are
satisfactory- I always feel robbed.

Now in my rural life, there really is no connection. Sometimes even
shooting a text or making a phone call needs tree-climbing trees. So forget
about a 4G connection or a Whatsapp message. FYI my county is quite near to
Nairobi. Every time I experience this it magnifies to me the kind of
inequality ICT can cause.

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 at 08:36, Mwendwa Kivuva via kictanet <

> Dear Listers,
>
> As notified last week, we are conducting an assessment on the state of
> play and impact of broadband in Kenya, broadly looking at the
> socio-economic impact on consumers, businesses and various sectors like
> agriculture, education, healthcare, finance and government.
>
> We are looking at real life examples of impact of broadband, challenges we
> face in increasing impact of broadband and recommendations on interventions
> needed to address the challenges identified.
>
> For this discussion, we define broadband as any fast internet. Fast enough
> to serve your intended purpose. We can have an extended definition through
> the discussion.
>
> Some of the questions we should answer are:
>
>    1. What is the current state of broadband in Kenya? What is the
>    current coverage of broadband in Kenya? Do you have broadband internet in
>    your area? How affordable is the available broadband?
>    2. What barriers are there in increasing impact of broadband in Kenya?
>    3. What recommendations can counter the barriers identified in
>    increasing impact of broadband?
>
> Looking forward to a grrat debate.
> Sincerely,

*Mercy Mutemi, Advocate*.