[kictanet] [labor issues] why Kenya should urgently BAN unpaid

Jimmy Gitonga jimmygitts at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 17:05:28 EAT 2019

I think Ali is being “clever” like the proverbial hare.

Honestly, we need to stop looking at everything the West, including their vile practices, as gospel truth. Taking on interns, with the sole intention of getting unpaid labour, even if it is the "sneaker network" that gets you coffee is despicable. The intern, no matter how enterprising, will be used and dumped.

"Why would a rational employer - whose goal is to maximise margins (within a very difficult / hostile business environment) - be interested in paying an experienced ex-intern, when they can simply get a fresh unpaid intern for free, train them within hours or a couple of days, even as other unpaids hold the temporary slack? This where we are headed - if not there already. The youth are "working" but they are still technically unemployed because they are not earning a living."

If getting “ahead" means bowing down to the "scacity mentality” idol and the stepping on people is one’s business success mantra, may that business perish and it’s “rational” employer perish.

Please note, we are not talking about the graduate who feels entitled to get paid internship, no. Those kinds of people will always be weeded out by the system. Their attitude alone is their undoing. We are talking about the ones with little to no social advantage of networks of family or friends who can supoort unpaid internship.

This is where our Africans, “Utu ni watu”, “Ubuntu” and “I am because we are” comes in.

Best Regards,
Jimmy Gitonga

Web Software Design and Development
LinkedIn: Jimmy Gitonga | Twitter: @Afrowave