[kictanet] 15% Excise Duty on Telephone and Internet Data Services

kanini mutemi kaninimutemi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 11:11:31 EAT 2018

Dear Listers,

Here is an excerpt from the President’s Memorandum which is up for consideration before the National Assembly tomorrow. He proposes taxation of telephone and internet data services. Safaricom, Airtel, Telkom etc do you have a projection of what this could mean for your consumers?

Now I am only but a simple lawyer, but I would think that this will enlarge the chasm between the haves and have nots in an already inequitable country. I wonder what this will mean for data costs, internet access and penetration levels, innovation, employment (esp for the youth) and generally keeping up with the new age. It was laughable when this was happening in Uganda, little did we know we were up next.