[kictanet] ICT Fraud (Kenya) vs Efficiency (Singapore)

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 16:15:25 EAT 2018

Barrack,

The Singapore links provided in the previous message indicate how focused
Singapore is on building up local ethics, capacity and economy. Our
procurement laws (and practices) do little to build up local
capacity/firms. Let us see how it goes over the next 6 months.

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/news/Top-State-firms-yet-to-publish-tender-details/539546-4779994-15my99bz/index.html

"We are working closely with the Ministry of ICT and the National Treasury
to ensure that all procuring entities within the National Government have
the necessary technical and human capacity to fully comply with the
executive order. So far, we are happy with the progress," Mr Waita said.

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 9:57 AM Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Muraya,
>
> Technology is a great enabler in an environment with value systems. Have
> you noted that the role of ICT is gradually being relegated to the
> periphery. It is interesting that recent budget cuts targeted the ICT
> Ministry. We have reversed most of the gains we made between 2002 and 2013
> and might revert to fully manual processes by 2020.
>
> The sector needs great leadership, we need to go back to the drawing board.
>
> Like the farmers in Uasin Gishu said, this are tough times to be a Citizen
> considering the fact that our leaders are disconnected from the Citizens
> they are leading.
>
> Regards
>
> Best Regards
>
> On 2 Oct 2018 15:05, "S.M. Muraya via kictanet" <
>
> Dear Listers,
>
> Just FYI..
>
> Fortunately decent public officials in Kenya are now fighting the culture
> of insider trading which only promotes trickery/treachery (locking out
> genuine local solution providers:)
>

> https://nairobinews.nation.co.ke/news/city-businessman-loses-sh89m-tender-fraud/
>
> In the other two he was asked to supply 797 laptops to the ICT ministry at
>> Sh125.9 million and software at Sh28.7 million.
>>

>> On his affidavit, Mr Buro said one of the suspects introduced himself as
>> the acting head of procurement at the ICT ministry. “I would even meet him
>> at the ministry’s offices on either the 9th or 10th floor,” he said.
>

> Now compare with Singapore (population, below 6 million) ..building up
> local focus, ethics + economy
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misuse_of_Drugs_Act_(Singapore)
>

> https://www.techgoondu.com/2017/05/25/singapore-government-call-s2-4-billion-ict-tenders-fy17/
>

> https://www.techgoondu.com/2017/05/25/singapore-government-call-s2-4-billion-ict-tenders-fy17/
>
> Singapore government to give out S$2.4 billion in ICT tenders this year
>
> May 25th, 2017 | by Alfred Siew
>
> The Singapore government will give out contracts worth S$2.4 billion in
> the current financial year to boost efforts in smart nation and
> digitisation efforts in the country.
>
> The money will be spent on national projects that include a national
> digital ID system, cashless payments with the monetary authorities and a
> smart nation sensor network.
>
> Unveiling this yesterday, the government technology agency called GovTech
> said there would be a tender for data analytics and another for
> communications infrastructure to link up data centres and IoT
> (Internet-of-Things) sensors.
>
> Robotics will be one area of focus. Temasek Polytechnic, for one, will be
> looking for an industry partner to build an inventory robot to scan the
> print collection and navigate in its library.
>
> This will help the library carry out more and faster inventory stock-takes
> to boost productivity and efficiency, as well as provide early detection of
> missing or wrongly shelved books.

> [...]

SMM

*"Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one
who takes a city." Prov 16:32*