[kictanet] The KeNIC we want

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Oct 2 19:16:06 EAT 2018

Over the years, Kenyans have come to rely on the unique .ke domain brand to
announce their presence to the world.

Recently, there have been board wrangles at KeNIC, affecting the
performance and operations of the organisation. There have been preliminary
discussion on this list regarding the state of KeNIC.

We will have a two day moderated debate starting on Thursday on the
KICTANet list for the community to give their views on which way KeNIC
should take, and the corporate governance structures that should be put in
place to have a professionally run, and efficient Country Code Level domain
(ccTLD) for Kenya. Members are welcomed to ask hard questions, and give
suggestions, and way forward for KeNIC.

Just some background on the ccTLD market around the world, and comparison
to the much famed Silicon Savannah. Are we punching below our weight?

China population 1.379 billion
.cn domains: 21 million domains (one domain for every 65 people)
Percentage Domain penetration: 1.5%
.cn is the second largest registry after .com and is ran by the CNNIC which
is a department of China Ministry of Industry and Information.

Germany population 82.67 million
.de domains: 16 million domains (one domain for every 5 people)
Percentage Domain penetration: 19%
.de is the third largest registry in the world and is ran by DENIC which is
a non-regulated not-for-profit cooperative owned by registrars.

South Africa Population 56 million
.za domain: 1.3 million domains (one domain for every 46 people)
Percentage Domain penetration: 2.3%
.za is the largest ccTLD in Africa, managed and regulated by ZADNA which is
an agency of South African government under the Department of
Telecommunications and Postal Services.

Kenya population 50 million
.ke domain: 79,773 domains (one domain for every 627 people)
Percentage Domain penetration: 0.16%
.ke is managed by KeNIC which is envisioned as a Public Private Partnership
(PPP) entity

Looking forward to a fruitful debate. See you on Thursday 4th October, 2018
on this list.