[kictanet] [major UX fail] Safaricom 'Stealing' From Mpesa Users Who Buy Airtime For Subscribers With Okoa Jahazi Debt -

Patrick A. M. Maina pmaina2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 12:00:34 EAT 2018

 Well said Ali. T&Cs can't be an excuse for absurdities.
This is a *major* UX design fail because it merges two conflicting use-cases into one. Bad! Very bad! If you have ever provided user support you will know that people often don't read prompts and its just *horrible* UX design to place heavy reliance on that.
Indeed its unethical, no matter what the crafty sunguras in legal/credit-risk dept say and a professional UX designer would push back (unless s/he doesn't have a say - then you have a culture problem)!
I am a techie who knows (or ought to know) better but I still click thru the blurb prompts without reading because I expect all prompts to be logically tied to a *single use case* (meaning I too will occasionally fall victim to bad design), so what about the non-technical users?
For those that don't get it, here's an example: Suppose you click CTRL-X in a notepad app and it *deletes* all files off your hard drive... then you complain and the company smugly tells you it's in "our T&Cs" or "our EULA"... which really means "you should have read the fine print you dummy" would you not be outraged? First of all who reads (or why read) that crap when the only option is "take it or leave it" and the common sense use case for notepad apps clearly excludes wiping files off a disk drive? See the absurdity of it all?
Yet another example that it's not innovation or tech excellence that keeps a dinosaur like Safaricom at the top, it's *network effects* at scale. Customers are simply *locked-in* and can't escape. They have to bear mediocrity because there is no real choice - thus no real incentive to innovate or be truly customer oriented (hence the shady ethics of high prices for mega profits in a poor country where people choose between airtime and food etc).
This is what the regulator should address. Dominance that is based on customer lock-in stifles innovation by blocking higher quality products from the market. So again its not abuse of dominance that is a problem, its the effect of dominance itself on the innovation ecosystem, market/economic stability, long term sustainability and on customers.
Good day,Patrick.