[kictanet] Kenya IGF Online Discussion Day 4 : Emerging Technological trends

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 09:54:02 EAT 2018

Hi Ronald,

I will attempt to address the questions in no particular order.

1.  I think the current policy was developed in a forwad thinking
manner. It would also be nice to find out the status of the revised
policy. I am not sure whether Ali Hussein got any feedback from the
humble requests he had made to the Ministry on the state of the
revised Policy in any case we are doing fine.
2. Artificial Intelligence is already here. Many Kenyans are already
using artificial intelligence in Agriculture (automated Irrigation
Systems). Many drivers are also relying on google maps to manage
traffic and travel related issues.
3. There is need to create more awareness and build capacity on how
various sectors such as Agriculture, Manufacturing can benefit from
Artificial Intelligence. AI is largely being used by the urbanite and
has not been embraced fully by the citizenry beyond our major towns
and cities. With rural electrification , the conversation should be
extended to Rural areas.

I am also keen to understand whether there is any organization that
has implemented the TV Whitespace technology locally and the
requirements for the communications authority for any organization
that may want to deploy the technology for use in building community
networks.

Best Regards

--
Barrack O. Otieno