[kictanet] For those who think Safaricom is dominant think again..and think regional :)

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Mon Jan 29 12:31:42 EAT 2018

If Safaricom benefits from that strategy, then that is good. My question
would be, do they currently benefit from https://www.mpesa.in/portal/ or
Mpesa Tanzania? I'm yet to understand how Safaricom is benefiting from any
foray by Vodafone Group in Africa

On Jan 29, 2018 12:22 PM, "Ali Hussein" <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Kevin, because the Sonatel region has a smaller demographic and smaller
>> GDP than that of Safaricom, Safaricom should not venture to other regions?
>> Or rather, because Safaricom has a bigger market share that Sonatel, they
>> should sit pretty?
>>
>> Ali, I think Safaricom's regional footprint has been frustrated by her
>> largest shareholder, Vodafone Group PLC, who too have an interest in the
>> region, and they want to eat their cake alone. Remember Vodafone has taken
>> the mpesa brand all over the world (India, South Africa, Tanzania) without
>> the involvement of Safaricom.
>>

>> On Jan 29, 2018 11:34 AM, "Kevin Kamonye via kictanet" <
>>
>> I am usually very wary of some of these talking head analysts and their
>> opinions.
>>
>> Safaricom is leagues ahead of Sonatel due to the underlying economic
>> factors that differentiate Kenya and Senegal combined together with Guinea,
>> Mali, Sierra Leone and Bissau).
>>
>> *Country / 2016 GDP / 2016 Growth Rate*
>>
>> *Kenya* 70.53 Billion USD ; 4.4%
>>
>> *Senegal* 14.77 Billion USD; 6.6%
>> *Guinea* 6.299 Billion USD ; 5.2%
>> *Mali* 14.05 Billion USD ; 4.8%
>> *Sierra Leone* 3.669 Billion USD ; 6.1%
>> *Bissau* 1.13 Billion USD ; 5.5%
>>
>> *Sonatel host countries total stats*
>> Total GDP 40 Billion USD
>> Total Population 52M
>> Average Growth 5.7%
>>
>> When we look at market penetration and market share, Sonatel already has
>> some very high numbers - as per their 2016 reports.
>> http://www.sonatel.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Sonatel_20
>> 16_financial_results_EN.pdf
>>
>> ​As for the reports that indicate that Safaricom will suffer losses due
>> to more and MPESA transactions being to business numbers - rubbish.
>>
>> The biggest growth potential of African economies is in moving the
>> informal sector into the scope of the tax administration. By enabling this,
>> Safaricom is laying down the foundation for its own strong future growth.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> On 29 January 2018 at 08:39, Ali Hussein via kictanet <
>>
>>> Listers
>>>
>>> I’ve always advocated for Kenyan Companies looking beyond the country to
>>> Africa at least. Here’s an interesting story of Sonatel, the Senegalese
>>> Telco that seems to be making waves in the investment circles. A snippet of
>>> the story below:-
>>>
>>> For Sonatel, there is an integrated regulatory and economic environment
>>> as well as a regional presence and availability of other Orange Group
>>> subsidiaries with which to have direct partnerships for purposes of
>>> remittances in SSA.
>>>
>>> It also notes Safaricom is increasingly doing more transactions on
>>> M-Pesa that relate to businesses as opposed to withdrawals by individuals.
>>>
>>> “We expect revenues to suffer as business transactions gain traction at
>>> a lower transaction charge than the declining withdrawals,” said Exotix.

>>> x-tips-foreigners-to-favour-firm-over-Safaricom/3815534-4282
>>> 002-f8gnyuz/index.html?utm_source=traqli&utm_medium=email&