[kictanet] KeNIC's OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION ON .KE DOMAINS SERVICE DISRUPTION EXPERIENCED ON FRIDAY 19TH JANUARY 2018

Harry Delano harry26001 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 15:58:24 EAT 2018

Hey Elly,

Just a correction, on a light note. It's Listers, as opposed to
'listeners'..

While we appreciate this communication, there are a few disturbing issues I
take note of in the brief from Kenic, and a  clarification would suffice:-

1. Why would a module upgrade be carried out on a live registry database,
literally throwing the entire country .KE space into a spin, for almost two
days..? Was an offline upgrade test run conducted..?

2. Why did it take two days for this communique to be released, albeit much
late in the day as chaos reigned..?

3. Any disaster recovery strategies in place, to mitigate such..? Any
timelines..? Were laid protocols followed in this strategy..? Do we have a
failover in place for the Registry..?

4. Any assessment of the impact of this outage,on the .KE space,
technically and economically..?

I believe most if not all stakeholders would shudder at &take great
exception at such light handling of a major registry outage that's
currently the backbone of the entire country's digital framework,
considering the chaos that ensued in the aftermath. I honestly suggest all
protocol be now put forward by Kenic to ensure the .KE space is urgently
certified as a national security infrastructure.

Harry

On 19 Jan 2018 18:26, "Senior System Administrator via kictanet" <

Dear Listeners,

Kindly find attached the official communication from KeNIC offering apology
and explanation on the cause and status of the .KE domains services
disruption.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Elly Kadenyo
Senior System Administrator
snrsysadmin at kenic.or.ke
+254 0720062293

mailman/options/kictanet/harry26001%40gmail.com

The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform for
people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.

KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors
online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and bandwidth,
share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do
not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.