[kictanet] Day 3 of Talk to the Senate (2017-2022 Priorities)

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 15:30:59 EAT 2018

Grace,

This is my final contribution. It is about getting procurement right.
Dealing with insider trading.

Almost 20 years ago, a Senior technologist at Parliament sought
competencies at the company I coordinated training for. Being smart (a
general trait of a good CIO) he had assessed our team as possessing the
competencies his team required. He was ignored and over 5 years later, a
company associated with an MP got the work. It was not assessed us well
done.

Over the past 20 years our Transparency International rankings have not
improved much.

If we persist in transparency, over the next 20 years (a generational
change), Kenya will end up on the better side, top 30, Transparency
International rankings :)

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 2:47 PM, Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) via kictanet <

> Kanini,
> On top of the great suggestions for counties, Senate ICT Committee should
> champion use of ICTs for public participation even at Parliament. I noticed
> that for example, most of the time we are discussing a Bill, we are never
> sure of the version and Bunge does not post the same Bill/links on its site.
> Going beyond participation is feedback. We contribute our input but never
> know whether it was of any use. Why cant committee reports be uploaded
> regularly? Why can't our submissions be published so that anyone who ever
> wants to learn about the issue can see the issues behind the issue? Would
> it be possible to let the public follow the life of a Bill they have
> interest in online as it moves through the House?
> Do committees have public communication channels? It would be nice to
> follow the ICT Committee on social media to learn its agenda etc. Such
> information would somehow trickle to radio, newspapers and other media and
> hopefully contribute to diversifying local content.
> On public information, I notice that both Houses have a tv channel. But
> the channels go blank when Houses are not in session? Can Senate use the
> non live broadcasting time to show committee sessions or educate the public
> on the many aspects of the legislature?
>
> Wishing the committee all the best,
>

> On 7 Feb 2018 06:00, "kanini mutemi via kictanet" <
>
>> @Ephraim would you have details on how far KAM has come on this- would
>> make for a good case study.
>>
>> @Walu you are not yet late to the party. Your comments will be added to
>> the Day 1 discussion.
>>
>> On 7 Feb 2018, at 12:37, Ephraim Percy Kenyanito via kictanet <
>>
>> Kanini,
>>
>> FYI- The Kenya Association of Manufacturers has been helping some
>> counties to try this (via a website etc) but there's need to boost these
>> efforts:
>> Integrate public participation into county procedures:
>> https://www.capitalfm.co.ke/eblog/2015/04/02/integrate-publi
>> c-participation-into-county-procedures/
>>
>> --
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Ephraim Percy Kenyanito
>> Legal Researcher/ Policy Analyst
>> Website: https://ephraimkenyanito.com/
>> Twitter: @ekenyanito <https://twitter.com/ekenyanito>
>> PGP Fingerprint: B0FA394AF73DEB7AA1FDC7360CFED26DE6BA8DC1
>> On 07/02/18 09:36, Barrack Otieno via kictanet wrote:
>>
>> Good morning Kanini,
>>
>> There is need for a proper framework that defines meaningful public
>> participation which should be adhered to by the National and County
>> government. KICTAnet developed a tool kit that should be considered by the
>> Senate. At the very minimum the Senate should be providing feedback
>> whenever it calls the public as it did last year during the elections
>> amendment debate, honestly the wahehimiwas earn sitting allowances while
>> the public spends their precious time to contribute to their work yet no
> [...]

SMM

*"Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one
who takes a city." Prov 16:32*