[kictanet] Day 3 of Talk to the Senate (2017-2022 Priorities)

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 12:34:20 EAT 2018

 @Kanini,
I got busy and forgot to share...so the following may perhaps fit in the previous days discussions but you decide.
I was involved with Counties a while back while developing some of their County ICT roadmaps which most have not bothered to implement.  One thing we observed was that very few counties had a substantive ICT ministry at county levels. Many had lumped ICTs under Youth ministries, or education ministries.  One if am not wrong even had put ICT under health or housing ministry ;-)
So anyway, what this means is that when it comes to budgeting, ICT issues would be last on the queue or put differently, no budgets for ICTs. That was problem no 1.
Problem no 2. was the county assemblies, the folks who approve county budgets had little understanding of ICT budgets, so when push comes to shove, even progressive 'ICT' counties like Uasin Gishu would have their ICT budgets chopped off viciously.
Problem no3. I observed was that most counties needed the same 'ICT' services eg. Health info systems, Revenue Collection (parking fees, licensing fees, rates, etc) and so they would benefit from coming together and purchasing Cloud services as opposed to each individually buying the same system (H/ware & S/Ware) from perhaps the same supplier who charges them x47 times for separate installations.
But most Counties prefer to operate in isolation since it gives them leeway on deciding who gets the ICT tenders (read between the lines ;-)
Maybe going forward, Senate Committee on ICT could increase its focus County ICT budgets (or their lack thereof).  Further they would demand more accountability on how these budgets are spent..tendered..etc. Essentially provide deeper ICT oversight and performance indicators for counties.
walu.