[kictanet] Banning of the FILM Rafiki

Mose Karanja mosekaranja at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 20:19:28 EAT 2018

Washington:

How will policy on sexual orientation and gender identity and expression online be formulated without recourse to its grounding in religion and morality and human rights?

This issue is 100% a KICTANET issue.

KICTANET mailing list is a platform that sees a converge of diverse points of view. When this issue was raised back in 2016, I was ordered to drop it because ‘It is not within KICTANet’s scope’. This was by a KICTANET convener. Now I see entitlement is leading to censorship on what can and cannot be discussed here. KICTANET the registered organization does not own the mailing list. You guys may organise and maintain it - a GREAT service to the Kenyan ICT community - but do not assume you own it.

Occasionally you issue statements claiming they are ‘KCTANET’ positions. Perhaps it is time you categorically indicate that they represent those who intentionally signed up on them instead of dragging everyone into all the positions because as this discussion and the previous on Election Act amendment in 2017 illustrated, we have no common position on most things - we are here to discuss.

-Moses