[kictanet] Amend the law to enable end-to-end land transactions

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 22:20:30 EAT 2018

Hi Ali and learned colleagues,

You know any public participation initiative on land related issues
would end up like Bomas 1 when we were doing the new constitution.
That said , there was and still is need for public participation, i
hope the new CS Farida Karoney can breath fresh air at the Registry.
Thank you Walu for the article.

Regards

On 4/12/18, Admin CampusCiti via kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
> [...]
>> Again, we have said on this list before that technology is not a magic
>> wand. Our land dishonesty problem won’t disappear because we’ve reduced
>> the foot traffic at Ardhi House. Also, picking up lessons from e-citizen,
>> company registration is online yes but you still need an ‘insider’ to help
>> you use the platform sometimes because applications may take time or the
>> platform returns error messages you wouldn’t be able to interpret on your
>> own.
>>
>> Ps: The previous administration peddled digitisation of the lands registry
>> too. Registries were closed severally to that effect. Perhaps there’s a
>> procurement question here. Was that mere scanning of records? Who did it?
>> Who is providing the services for the current process? How were they
>> engaged?
>>
>>> On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 at 21:30, Victor Kapiyo via kictanet
>>> <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>>> The lawyers are here. We have been otherwise occupied trying to figure
>>> out how the new LMIS system works, in order to facilitate your
>>> conveyancing transactions!
>>>
>>> I wonder why some people want to digitise wakili's out of business,
>>> surely. Jameni? Can't we be left to 'eat' our legal fees in peace?
>>>
>>> Anyway, I think this is a good initiative. Trust me all lawyers want
>>> these land transactions to move quicker. Only that we need, for the
>>> benefits of our clients, to ensure there is proper due diligence done to
>>> ensure the integrity of land transactions. As you're all probably aware,
>>> land disputes form a huge chunk of cases in our courts - in fact there is
>>> an entire court (ELC) dedicated to land matters. We facilitate the
>>> conveyance process and do not as some suggest, act as obstacles to land
>>> transactions. In fact, the faster we transact, the sooner we get paid -
>>> so nobody wants delays. Delays are caused by inefficiency, corruption,
>>> bureacracy and disorganisation in some of the registries. It is also
>>> important to note that the property management framework is a very
>>> complex regime and whereas technology can enhance such processes, there
>>> are certain technicalities that require a legal mind to determine.
>>>
>>> That said, the challenge with this government project is that it was
>>> conceptualised, designed and implemented - i believe in secret - and
>>> without adequate participation of key stakeholders. How many people here
>>> knew of the details of the land registry digitisation process until the
>>> lands registry in Nairobi was closed to the public for the migration
>>> process last month? If the process was more participatory, and there was
>>> better communication and awareness, then i doubt we would be having the
>>> issues being raised here or in the articles. As lawyers, we want change.
>>> But the technocrats developing ICT systems for e-government need to be
>>> more transparent about such projects. As we speak there is no programme
>>> for training on using the system or a manual at best - save for a sketchy
>>> 1 min. 29 sec. video and a paragraph with scanty instructions (see