[kictanet] State of Consumer Protection Report in Kenya - Request for Responses

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 08:48:28 EAT 2018

Dear Colleagues,

I support what Grace and others have raised on this list. I was wondering
whether we should incorporate utility companies like Kenya Power into this
conversation. Last year when Kenya Power retired its old billing system and
activated a newer system that purportedly could accommodate the large
number of customers brought onto the grid due to the rural electrification
program, hundreds of customers bore the brunt of a system glitch that lead
to ridiculous bills. Most citizens have been forced to pay up, accept and
move on. Be that as it may , power is critical in a knowledge economy and
the current gymnastics by Kenya Power will have a negative effect on the
ICT Sector considering the fact that renewal energy is not that cheap. Can
COFEK look into this matter. I appreciate the fact that there is a case in
court but we need a balanced view on this issue that can result in proper
policy action.

Regards

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 10:14 PM, Ali Hussein via kictanet <

Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277
+254733206359
Skype: barrack.otieno