[kictanet] State of Consumer Protection Report in Kenya - Request for Responses

florence mwangangi fmwangangi1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 18:05:39 EAT 2018

On ICT sector, consumers need PROTECTION FROM UNSOLICITED INFORMATION/
ADVERTISEMENTS from the MNOs and also other parties. It is not uncommon for
consumers to be inundated with such texts in the dead of the night. THE OPT
OUT NUMBERS DO NOT WORK AND THE TEXTS KEEP ON COMING.

 Secondly, the MNOs APPEAR TO SHARE CONSUMER DATA WITH 3RD PARTIES. That
explains why traders who have not had any dealings with the CONSUMER keep
texting the consumer to advertise their ware.

On Energy and Power Consumers need protection from frequent power blackouts
- an example is KINANIE AREA OF ATHI RIVER WHERE ELECTRICITY SUPPLY IS
DISCONNECTED EVERY SUNDAY AND USUALLY WITHOUT NOTICE!!!

Secondly, the billing is most of the time based on ESTIMATES AND THE BILLS
ARE UNUSUALLY HIGH.

Thirdly, TELEPHONE CALLS ON THE NUMBERS PROVIDED BY KPLC GO UNANSWERED EVEN
THOSE GIVEN AS EMERGENCY NUMBERS!!!

On Wed, 4 Apr 2018, 15:53 Grace Bomu via kictanet, <