[kictanet] Fwd: [Internet Policy] Spanish Government Raid .cat registry in advance of referendum

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 09:53:43 EAT 2017

Colleagues,

see response from ISOC below:

Internetpolicy subscribers,

FYI, yesterday we published a statement expressing our concern about
measures taken in Spain to block access to certain websites and, perhaps
more concerning, to require a top-level domain (TLD) operator to engage in
content monitoring and blocking.

This is a tense time politically in Spain with an independence referendum
having been called for October 1 in the Catalonia region which the central
Spanish government views as illegal. We do not want to get involved in the
politics of the situation, but are concerned by the manner in which the
Internet is being restricted. As we have repeatedly stated, we do not see
Internet blocking / shutdowns as effective measures and believe they cause
far more collateral damage to the economy and society.

Please do read and share our statement:

https://www.internetsociety.org/news/statements/2017/
internet-society-statement-internet-blocking-measures-catalonia-spain/

https://www.internetsociety.org/es/news/declarationes/
2017/declaracion-de-internet-society-sobre-medidas-de-
bloqueo-de-internet-en-cataluna-espana/

Shared on social at:

https://twitter.com/internetsociety/status/910995196405518336
https://www.facebook.com/InternetSociety/posts/10154627959548239

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan York
Senior Manager, Content & Web Strategy, Internet Society

http://www.internetsociety.org/

On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 7:28 AM, Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) via kictanet <

Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277
+254733206359
Skype: barrack.otieno