[kictanet] Next Elections and ICT

Tony White tony.mzungu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 11:38:48 EAT 2017

It may not be possible to do this within the 56 days remaining till
the repeat election, but:

If the supreme court upholds the judgement of the appeal court in the
'Maina Kiai' case - that the result at the polling station is final -
then:

The scanned image of the form 34A should (if not already) include
metadata identifying the polling station, total registered voters,
votes for candidates as counted, etc.

This should then be transmitted to a directory on the public portal
for immediate viewing by **any** interested party - including members
of the public, IEBC, constituency returning officers, and political
parties.

ie - **not** 'uploaded' to an intermediate IEBC server.

IEBC may then use the metadata for separate 'totals' display - as may
anyone else

Of course, party agents must ensure and agree the figures entered as
metadata reflect the figures manually entered on the scanned form.

Only **one** item (the form 34A) is then transmitted.

On another note: mathematically - statistically - results from random
polling stations will quickly converge to percentages close to the
final result (as we saw in the August 8th election).  To prove this,
put 10,000 (or 1,000,000 or whatever you like) balls into a (virtual)
bag - 60% red and 40% black - and pluck out 100 balls at a time
(randomly) and calculate % red and % black - and keep doing this, 100
at a time.  Someone may care to knock up a quick program to do this.
After only a few pluckings, the percentages quickly converge on the
60/40 percentages.

My thoughts,

Cheers,
Tony

On 04/09/2017, Dorcas Muthoni via kictanet
<kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
> Great question Mutemi,
>
> In the meantime, anyone who knows where to get the registrar's ICT report
> from the IEBC server access tabled during the petition? I imagine it's a
> public document.
>
> It would be great to review the larger document.  I believe that would be a
> good starting point.
>
> On Sep 4, 2017 10:32 AM, "Mutemi wa Kiama via kictanet" <
>
>> Good morning Listers,
>>
>> What role can the KICTAnet community play in ensuring technology works in
>> the coming elections? Kenya needs you!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mutemi wa Kiama

>> Social Justice Entrepreneur, Human Rights Defender,
>>
>> #DevolutionIsRevolution Champion
>>
>> The Wanjiku Agenda Kenya Foundation (WAKenya)
>> Ordinary, fearless Kenyans.
>>
>> Sauti Ya Wanjiku Social Movementwww.sautiyawanjiku.com
>>
>> https://www.facebook.com/wanjikurevolutionkenya
>>
>> https://twitter.com/WanjikuRevolt
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/u/1/+WanjikuMapinduzi/posts
>>
>> http://www.scribd.com/wmkenya
>>

>> "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can
>> change
>> the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." ~Margaret Mead

>> mailman/options/kictanet/dmuthoni%40gmail.com

>> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
>> development.

>> online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and
>> bandwidth,

Tony White