[kictanet] Call for input into Election Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2017 and Election Offences (Amendment) Bill 2017

kanini mutemi kaninimutemi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 20:12:31 EAT 2017

The current Section 44A of the Elections Act allows IEBC to set up a
*complementary* system for transmission of results. I believe that should
take care of those instances. What the Bill proposes is to have two
parallel systems where the manual is superior.

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 at 20:01 S.M. Muraya via kictanet <

> If electronic transmission of results is the only prescribed option in the
> current act, then an amendment is now inevitable ):
>
> Technology firms have indicated, it may not be possible to electronically
> transmit all results from all polling stations.
>
> Forms 34b, transmitted from the Constituency tallying center are already
> described as too bulky..
>

> http://www.nation.co.ke/news/politics/Wafula-Chebukati-outlines-tough-demands-on-OT-Morpho-/1064-4119384-10rr6uaz/index.html
>

> *Further, on plans by the commission to display all the forms 34B from
> constituencies, the firm says it is technologically impossible to do this
> given the bulky nature of the forms.DATA CAPACITYMr Chebukati insists that
> the tech firm should enhance its data capacity to accommodate the bulk
> data.“Please not that since OT-Morpho are the ones who receive the forms
> 34A first, they must make them public. Text results without forms, shall
> not be allowed in whatever circumstances,” he tersely says.He instructs
> them to avoid a situation that happened in August where some 10,000 polling
> stations sent results without forms.*
>
> On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 5:06 PM, Barrack Otieno via kictanet <
>
>> Listers,
>>
>> Proposed election amendments make electronic results irrelevant
>>

>> In Summary
>>
>>  Specifically, proposed amendments kill the need to have electronic
>> results, given that the manual ones are legally authoritative.
>>  To bury the ICT agenda for good, the amendments propose total
>> mutilation of Section 44 (use of technology) by deleting subsections
>> 5, 6, 7 & 8.
>>  One gets the feeling that these amendments are more geared towards
>> supporting ICT-illiterate lawyers in the next presidential petition.
>>
>> read more:
>>
>> http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/blogs/dot9/walubengo/2274560-4124394-k96oxc/index.html
>>

>> On 10/4/17, Lawrence Dinga, CISSP via kictanet
>> <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>> > I completely concur with the views so far.
>> >
>> > It is evident from the current mood of the country that the amendments
>> > the Election Laws are not all inclusive and the general feeling is that
>> it
>> > is more of a political game undermining the electoral commission ahead
>> of
>> > the repeat presidential elections. As Barrack says, our key interest is
>> > promoting the best use of ICT to bring lasting solutions to our myriad
>> > problems.
>> >
>> > As we are aware, the contentious issue that led to the nullification of
>> the
>> > presidential election was that IEBC refused to open the servers for
>> scrutiny
>> > and get the logs for analysis. The reason they were citing is that
>> servers
>> > are not located in Kenya and "the custodians were still asleep" while
>> the
> [...]
*Mercy Mutemi, Advocate*.