[kictanet] Call for input into Election Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2017 and Election Offences (Amendment) Bill 2017

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 2 23:48:36 EAT 2017

Listers

Greetings!

KICTANet has been invited on Thursday October 5, 2017, to a meeting of the select committees on Election laws 2017. Considering that there will be many other groups participating, we would like to present a memorandum containing our specific concerns as they pertain to tech issues.

Further, we realize that the time is too short to hold a moderated debate and therefore would like to hear from you on specific tech issues. We have to do this by Wednesday October 4, 2017 at 2 p.m. Thereafter, I and Kanini Mutemi will collate the views in readiness for Thursday. In addition, it would be good for those who participated in the KICTANet observation mission on August 8, 2017 to also attend this Thursday meeting.

We attach the two bills, and would like to draw your attention to:

1. Election Laws (Amendment) Bill

  *   Clause 6 (Electronic AND manual transmission of presidential election results, with manual taking precedence).
  *   Clause 7 (Substantially amends Section 44 of the Elections Act which prescribes the use of technology in the conduct of elections).
  *   Clause 8 (Amends Section 44A on use of a complementary mechanism for identification of voters).
  *   Clause 9 (Amends Section 83 on the effect of non-compliance).
  *   Clause 11 (Criminal liability for failing to sign documents).

2. Election Offences (Amendment) Bill-

  *   Clause 2 (Amends Election Offences Act to allow the government to publish advertisements on its achievements during the election period).

Kindlyprovide your input by providing which clause you think is problematic, what your concerns are, and the recommendations.

Asanteni sana.

Rgds
Grace

Grace Githaiga