[kictanet] Fwd: [global-nn] Red Alert for Net Neutrality in the United States

anyega jefferson jeffersonanyega at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 08:11:49 EAT 2017

Wangari

That's a brilliant post, and analogy.

I couldn't agree more.

On Nov 25, 2017 12:32 PM, "WANGARI KABIRU via kictanet" <

*“Letting deep-pocketed corporations create a pay-for-play internet harms
innovation and free expression alike, in the U.S. and everywhere else,”* said
Nathan White, Senior Legislative Manager at Access Now. *“The open internet
is for everyone, not just the privileged few. Breaking it into pieces to
make more money for entrenched players is a short-sighted strategy that
will only backfire, creating less opportunity and innovation over time, not
more,”* he added.

Having had the opportunity to engage in the ISOC Chapterthon 2017 (SHULE
TARAKIMU KENYA project), and the drive for Community Networks in Africa,
this situation is certainly at play in Kenya and experienced for anyone
engaging in the peri-urban and rural Kenya.

Camouflaged in the speed of access in turn cost of access to users arising
from infrastructure investment decisions among other business drivers.

There is certainly a long battle until the internet is classified as a
public good with our government responsible to be responsive to deliver it.

The mantra of the internet as a human right in the Internet Governance
discourse must be backed by who delivers it, perhaps a certain minimum
level of standards.

Business will keep reminding you they are in business (yes, mostly with
shortterm interests - known as targets!).

However, the internet development community and more so the Internet
Governance enthusiasts (long term interests) has shown that with the
declaration that the internet is for all,
'we are the ones inviting you to do business with "our internet", by "our
rules", in "our shared way" '

Might this possible or not? I am reminded that not so long ago, every
Kenyan could purchase their favorite milled maize at 90bob versus the close
to 200bob that would've shifted maize into the ostentation category. All
the stakeholders thrived.

Internet sio mahindi but the thinking must be as such!

Have a blessed day.

Regards/Wangari

---
Pray God Bless. 2013Wangari circa - "Being of the Light, We are Restored
Through Faith in Mind, Body and Spirit; We Manifest The Kingdom of God on
Earth".

On Thursday, 23 November 2017, 17:29, Ali Hussein via kictanet <

@Kanini

In this particular case I’ll just say this:-

Let sleeping dogs lie...

*Ali Hussein*
*Principal*
*Hussein & Associates*
+254 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a
habit."  ~ Aristotle

Sent from my iPad