[kictanet] Potential Data Breach on E-Citizen Portal

Timothy- Coach- Oriedo timoriedo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 12:37:24 EAT 2017

The recent admission by treasury and disowning the Tech company behind
e-citizen poses a major threat to exposure of millions of Kenyans data on
that portal.

>From below excerpt seems focus is on revenue but the bigger threat  data
no?

“I am aware that the government has not authorised Goldrock Capital to
collect the convenience fee or otherwise derive any remunerative benefit
from any transaction carried out through the eCitizen portal. I am aware
that Goldrock Capital is not authorised by the CS, National Treasury to
collect revenue for and on behalf of the government,” Dr Thugge says in his
response. Webmasters Kenya has also denied subcontracting Goldrock to
collect money paid for government services through eCitizen.

Ful article ...

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/news/Treasury-now-disowns-eCitizen-platform-company/539546-4185702-15ly2cq/

I believe it high time we fast tract adoption of the Data Protection and
Data Residency act.
The GDPR comes into effect in May and we seem not aligned to that target.

Timothy Oriedo
Data Scientist
@coachtimoriedo
0722816171