[kictanet] FW: Signed Press Statement on WANNACRYPT0R Ransomware Virus

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Sun May 14 02:01:35 EAT 2017

Thanks for being proactive National KE-CIRT/CC

The Ransomware has caused major distractions around the world, the most
notable being [1]
1. Hospitals in UK where their data has been encrypted, and rendered
unusable, to the point patients are being transferred to other hospitals,
and reverting to manual filing
2. FedEx: The company said it was "experiencing interference with some of
our Windows-based systems caused by malware" and was trying to fix the
problems as quickly as possible.
3. Deutsche Bahn: The German railway company told CNNMoney that due to the
attack "passenger information displays in some stations were inoperative"
as were "some ticket machines."
4. Russian Central Bank: State media agency Tass reported the bank
discovered malware bulk emails to banks
5. Telefónica: Spanish authorities confirmed the Spanish telecom company
Telefónica (TEF) was one of the targets, though the attack affected only
some computers

I'm afraid if this monster hits home, the devastation will be major. And
who will bear the cost? The end users. Time to consider the strategy on
Organisational level Operating System.

My advice is, if you have important data locked up, and you don't have
backup, and you are ready to loose $300 to recover your data, paying the
ransom may be your best bet (no surety you will get your data). That will
be a lesson to backup, backup, backup. Also, stop using junk operating
systems.

Of course there is the long debate on the cost of state sponsored cyber
espionage: This ransomware is a grandchild of US's NSA cyber warfare tools
(codenamed Eternalblue[2], and Doublepulsar[3]), which become public some
months ago, and in the wrong hands, has led to "one of the largest weapon
of mass destruction cyber attack ever carried out"

1.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/13/technology/ransomware-attack-who-got-hurt/
2.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/wana-decrypt0r-ransomware-using-nsa-exploit-leaked-by-shadow-brokers-is-on-a-rampage/
3.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/05/12/nsa-exploit-used-by-wannacry-ransomware-in-global-explosion/#472b67ace599

Regards

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
twitter.com/lordmwesh

On 13 May 2017 at 18:14, Gimode, Chiimbiru via kictanet <