[kictanet] Safaricom and Internet Traffic Tampering

Mose Karanja mosekaranja at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 15:54:09 EAT 2017

Hello Steve et al.

Everything raised in this email is answered in our research brief. However for the sake of those who have not read the brief, this is our response:

The description above from Safaricom is in fact a confirmation of the presence of a middle-box. Ngigi did an excellent job of using an analogy on this. “Any crafted or altered packets that violate the accepted correct HTTP formats generate an error. So by CIPT sending a packet that has its HTTP parameters detuned/altered, they would receive an error as explained above.”
The fact that Safaricom inspects which packets are standard or not implies tampering. Is that legal? It depends. Quality optimization is one way of justifying this but the presence of this on the network just after the CA announced plans to deploy network monitoring equipment is suspect. Does it mean Safaricom did not have a traffic optimizer before and just deployed one in February?

As far as the official RFC Standards go, invalid HTTP requests are not specially discriminated at the transport layer: https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt <https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt>

As for the responsible disclosure, CIPIT did in fact document the timeline of events and what we were waiting from Safaricom before publishing our research brief was official communication as agreed upon with the subject matter experts. Again, all this is documented in the report.

Ali raised the issue of the judiciary and its role in interpreting the law. We coincidentally provided that as our recommendation. The Judicial Training Institute should consider continuous legal training on new technologies and involve subject matter experts.

Stephen also raised the point of criminals targeting their network.
“We have also observed a concerning trend where entities use the same packet crafting methods mentioned above to defraud the ISP by tunneling traffic through zero rated sites (i.e. by-passing billing).”

We are not aware of such a practice. Ours is an open research methodology that other people can independently repeat and verify. The easiest way to test independently is to download the app from either Android Play store <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.openobservatory.ooniprobe&hl=en_GB> or Apple’s App store <https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id1199566366>. We run the tests on different vantage points and sense-beat the results for false positives. All the data collected so far in Kenya is openly and freely available here <https://explorer.ooni.torproject.org/country/KE>:

As will be noted, all these questions were answered on the research brief but we will are ready to engage as time allows.

Finally, we wish to point out that we monitor all telecom service providers using the same protocols. Safaricom's is the only network where we found the anomalies described in our report, and the anomaly disappeared shortly after our conversation with the company. This does not seem to be consistent with industry standard activities.

-Moses (CIPIT)