[kictanet] WikiLeaks CIA Leaks

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Wed Mar 8 20:01:15 EAT 2017

Wangare, we cannot hold any manufacturer liable for any vulnerability.
Indeed, most are not even aware of the Zero Day vulnerabilities that
CIA is exploiting.

Here is a good writeup by Wikileaks on Zero day Vulnerabilities: In
the wake of Edward Snowden's leaks about the NSA, the U.S. technology
industry secured a commitment from the Obama administration that the
executive would disclose on an ongoing basis — rather than hoard —
serious vulnerabilities, exploits, bugs or "zero days" to Apple,
Google, Microsoft, and other US-based manufacturers.

Serious vulnerabilities not disclosed to the manufacturers places huge
swathes of the population and critical infrastructure at risk to
foreign intelligence or cyber criminals who independently discover or
hear rumors of the vulnerability. If the CIA can discover such
vulnerabilities so can others.

The U.S. government's commitment to the Vulnerabilities Equities
Process came after significant lobbying by US technology companies,
who risk losing their share of the global market over real and
perceived hidden vulnerabilities. The government stated that it would
disclose all pervasive vulnerabilities discovered after 2010 on an
ongoing basis.

"Year Zero" documents show that the CIA breached the Obama
administration's commitments. Many of the vulnerabilities used in the
CIA's cyber arsenal are pervasive and some may already have been found
by rival intelligence agencies or cyber criminals.

As an example, specific CIA malware revealed in "Year Zero" is able to
penetrate, infest and control both the Android phone and iPhone
software that runs or has run presidential Twitter accounts. The CIA
attacks this software by using undisclosed security vulnerabilities
("zero days") possessed by the CIA but if the CIA can hack these
phones then so can everyone else who has obtained or discovered the
vulnerability. As long as the CIA keeps these vulnerabilities
concealed from Apple and Google (who make the phones) they will not be
fixed, and the phones will remain hackable.

The same vulnerabilities exist for the population at large, including
the U.S. Cabinet, Congress, top CEOs, system administrators, security
officers and engineers. By hiding these security flaws from
manufacturers like Apple and Google the CIA ensures that it can hack
everyone &mdsh; at the expense of leaving everyone hackable.
Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
twitter.com/lordmwesh