[kictanet] Safaricom faces M-Pesa break up in market dominance war

Alwala, Rachel Alwala at ca.go.ke
Fri Mar 3 16:20:54 EAT 2017

Hi Victor and listers,

Based on the questions you raise, allow us to draw the distinction and points of convergence on the roles of CA and CAK with respect to powers over competition matters and on dominance declaration.

Powers over competition matters

It is important to note that both institutions have powers over competition matters in the ICT sector.  The Communication Authority has both ex-ante and ex-post jurisdiction while the Competition Authority has only ex-post jurisdiction. Ex ante regulation is the setting of rules and obligations to be adhered to by service providers (before the event) deemed to be in a position of significant market power which, either in itself or through possible abuse of such a position, may impair competition to the detriment of consumer welfare. Examples of ex ante rules that are focussed on wholesale services  such as interconnection (applicable to all networks), access to USSD channel ( applicable to mobile money platforms) etc, where each network is deemed to have monopoly over its own network when terminating calls from, or providing access to other networks.The philosophy behind  Ex post regulation punishes abuse of dominance. The telecommunications and the ICT sector in general applies both forms of regulation.

The Communication Authority's powers in relation to competition are derived from the Kenya Information and Communications Act 1998(as amended in 2013 and 2015) (KICA). These powers include:

i.      the promotion of competition (section 23(2)(b))

ii.     ex-ante and ex-post jurisdiction (sections 84Q, 84R, 84S and 84T)

iii.   determining which licensees are “dominant in a relevant market” (section 84W).
On the other hand, the Competition Authority derives its mandate from the Competition Act, 2010 (with the 2012 and 2014 amendments) (Competition Act). These powers include:

i.      ex-post (with some powers in relation to market inquiries)

ii.     to investigate complaints and markets to establish if there has been an abuse of dominance or anti-competitive behaviour (including restrictive trade practices) (Parts III, IV and V of the Competition Act)

Definition of Dominance

Notably, the definition of a dominant operator in both Kenya Information and Communication Act and Competition Act is similar.

The Competition Act defines  a dominant position as follows:

S4(3) of the Act:

A person has a dominant position in a market if the person –

(a) produces, supplies, distributes or otherwise controls not less than one-half of the total goods of any description that are produced, supplied or distributed in Kenya or any substantial part thereof; or

(b) provides or otherwise controls not less than one-half of the services that are rendered in Kenya or any substantial part thereof.”

In the 2015 amendment of KICA the definition of “dominant telecommunications provider” cross-references s4 and 23 of the Competition Act i.e. A person has a dominant position in a market if the person –

(a) produces, supplies, distributes or otherwise controls not less than one-half of the total goods of any description that are produced, supplied or distributed in Kenya or any substantial part thereof; or

(b) provides or otherwise controls not less than one-half of the services that are rendered in Kenya or any substantial part thereof

Power over Dominance

On matters of dominance, KICA confers the CA with primary decision-making powers in this regard. Particularly, s84W  “The Commission may, in consultation with the Competition Authority of Kenya and after due process, declare a person or institution by notice in the Gazette, to be a “dominant telecommunications service provider” for the purposes of this Act”.

Moreover, the Fair Competition and Equality of Treatment Regulations, 2010 expounds more on how the Authority will go about the process of declaration of dominance. For the avoidance of doubt, the Kenya constitution 2010, envisaged the creation of an independent regulator,free from both commercial and political interests; and which the Supreme Court re-affirmed that that envisaged independent regulator is the CA.

I hope that sheds some light that can inform discussions.

Regards,

Rachel