[kictanet] PRE KIGF ONLINE DISCUSSIONS DAY 2- FAKE NEWS DURING ELECTIONEERING

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 11:43:36 EAT 2017

Hi Kanini,

1.Doing away with fake news is akin to doing away with Gossip. Fake
news is as old as communication.

2. Fake news is a byproduct of Big Data which is a cash cow. We are in
an era in which there is too much data as such people are willing to
pay for service providers that convert this data into information at
their finger tips. This has led to profiling in the process which fans
up the fake news flames.

3. I agree with Diacen above that there is need for ethics in
Journalism. Indeed with the proliferation of Social Media and the
blogging phenomenon, crucial tenets of Journalism have been thrown out
of the window. There is need for deliberate and intentional
Strengthening of Association and Institutions that promote Journalism
to ensure that they are in sync with current trends. This is the only
way we can counter the fake news since a large proportion of the
society still trusts mainstream media. Fake news has the potential of
affecting trust which is a critical component of the Internet but as
mentioned earlier, it is a cash cow in its own right and will exist
for as long as there are clients to consume it.

Best Regards