[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2017: Thank you note

Peter Mbatha athapir at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 13:09:56 EAT 2017

Thanks for the sum up & detailed information on the event we had. It was an
eventful week and fully educational.

Thank you KICTAnet team, and all KSIG class of 2017. You are all wonderful

On Jul 16, 2017 22:41, "Grace Githaiga via kictanet" <

Dear Listers

Greetings!

On behalf of the Kenya IGF 2017 Organizing Committee, I would like to
convey our gratitude for your participation at the recently concluded Kenya
IGF, which was held at Laico Regency, on July 6, 2017.

For the first time, we held a Kenya IGF week which included the Kenya
School of Internet Governance (KeSIG), the Youth IGF, and the meeting of
the working group on Internet shutdowns.

The KIGF attracted over 250 participants, speakers and sponsors, including
a youth speaker who came to present the key highlights of the Youth IGF.
Further, more than 380 remote participants followed the proceedings on
Facebook live and the livestream. Participants were drawn from different
stakeholder groups resulting in multistakeholder representation.

This afforded immense intellectual and social interaction for the
participants.

I would like to thank all who made it happen:

*The Key note speaker**: * The keynote speech by CA’s Director General
Francis Wangusi was delivered by Joseph Nzano, *Deputy Head of
Cybersecurity*.

*Speakers**:* Fadzai Madzingira,* Facebook, *Jaco Du Toit,* UNESCO, *Dr.
Katherine Getao, *ICT Secretary, Ministry of ICT, *Jamie Bunyasi,*  St.
Marys School (Youth), *Ronald Ojino, *University of Dar es Salaam**, *Chris
Musando, Head of ICT*, IEBC, *Musembi Mutisya*, ELOG*, Emmanuel
Chebukati, *Information
Security Consultant, *Churchill Otieno*, Nation Media Group*, James Wamathai*,
BAKE*, Jessica Musila*, Mzalendo,  *Joseph Nzano*, **KE-CIRT (CA)*, Kevin
Mburu Kimani*, Serianu Ltd*, Lilian Muthoni*, Watoto Watch, *Mercy Ndegwa,
*Safaricom*, Chris Adem*, **Computer Society of Kenya*, and Juliet Maina,*
TripleOK Law.*

*Others were: *Dr. Joseph W. Nasongo, *Commissioner - National Cohesion and
Integration Commission*, James Ratemo *Head of Communication, Media Council
of Kenya*, Dr. Wakabi Wairagala, *the Collaboration on International ICT
Policy in East and Southern Africa (CIPESA), Uganda, *Riva Jalipa, *Strathmore
University*, Eli Kadenyo, * KeNIC*, Grace Mutungu, *KICTANet*, Ezekiel
Mutua, *CEO, KFCB*, and Andrew Alston, *Liquid Telecom. *

Further, we acknowledge the Fireside speakers who participated in the
lively debate which focused on l at the Internet in the next five years.
Their topics varied as follows:

*Fintech,* Rosemary Kimwatu, Wayawaya

*Policy and Regulation, *GBenga Sesan, Paradigm Initiative, Nigeria

*Innovation, Dr. *Bitange Ndemo, University of Nairobi

*Human Rights and the Internet,* Dr.Alberto Cerda, Ford Foundation, USA

*Engineering & Technology* - Mwende Njiraini, CA

*E-government Services - Dr. *Katherine Getao,

You all shaped the debates, and provided valuable information.
Well...sometimes the debates got heated, but that is the beauty of
engagement—being able to disagree respectfully!

*Moderators:* Led by our chief Moderator Barrack Otieno, Matunda
Nyanchama Matunda
Nyanchama*,* *Agano Consulting Inc**, *Harry Hare*, CIO, *Wambui Wamunyu*,
Daystar University, *Rachael Nakitare,* KBC and *John Walubengo* MMU.*

We appreciate your steering the debates which were in some circumstances
quite animated!

*Twitterati:* The team was led by our KeSIG alumni David Indenje. You all
made us proud. There were over 18,000 tweets in a span of five hours as
seen in this graph: https://nodexlgraphgallery.org/Pages/Graph.aspx?graphID=
115422 We trended trend at number 1 for the better part of the day and 24
hours later on Friday at 6 pm, we were still on the trend list!
<https://nodexlgraphgallery.org/Pages/Graph.aspx?graphID=115422>
#KIGF2017 Twitter NodeXL SNA Map and Report for Thursday, 06 July 2017 at
15:48 UTC <https://nodexlgraphgallery.org/Pages/Graph.aspx?graphID=115422>
nodexlgraphgallery.org
The graph represents a network of 333 Twitter users whose recent tweets
contained "#KIGF2017", or who were replied to or mentioned in those tweets,
taken from a data set limited to a maximum of 18,000 tweets. The network
was obtained from Twitter on Thursday, 06 July 2017 at 15:51 UTC. The
tweets in the network were tweeted over the 5-hour, 55-minute period from
Thursday, 06 July 2017 at 09:51 UTC to Thursday, 06 July 2017 at 15:47 UTC.
Additional tweets that were mentioned in this data set were also collected
from prior time periods. These tweets may expand the complete time period
of the data. There is an edge for each "replies-to" relationship in a
tweet, an edge for each "mentions" relationship in a tweet, and a self-loop
edge for each tweet that is not a "replies-to" or "mentions". The graph is
directed. The graph's vertices were grouped by cluster using the
Clauset-Newman-Moore cluster algorithm. The graph was laid out using the
Harel-Koren Fast Multiscale layout algorithm.

*Sponsors**:* Included Communications Authority, UNESCO, IGF Support
Association, FACEBOOK, KENIC, Fordfoundation, Safaricom, CIO and Bake. We
applaud you for your contributions and continued collaboration, which
ensured the different events of the week were a success.

We cannot forget Joly MacFie of the Internet Society, for ensuring the
functioning of the live streams.

Rappoteurs: June Tessy Okal *KICTANet*, Philbert Aganyo *Yali East Africa
Fellow* and Samuel Muchiri *Kenya Internet Exchange point**.*

*MAG:* We are grateful to local organizing team chaired by our Victor
Kapiyo. Other members were Ronald Ojino *University of Dar*, Tracy Kadesa
*Advocate*, Fadzai Mazingira *FB*, Francis Monyango *Strathmore University*,
Kelvin Kariuki *MMU*, Mercy Mutemi *Advocate*, Joy Mala *Accountability 4*,
Liz Orembo *KICTANet*, Mwara Gichanga *KICTANet*, Martin Mavenjina *(KHRC)*,
Martin Saisi *Law Society of Kenya*, Garyson Nandwa *Accountability 4*, and
Amina Wako *Accountability 4**.* We appreciate your hard work and excellent
organization.

*Last but not least, the attendees**:* Thank you all for coming and for
your active participation. Without you, there would have been no KIGF. We
hope that you found the KIGF both valuable and rewarding.

If you missed the KIGF or would like to go back to the discussions that
took place, please find the recordings from the following links:

Live stream site: https://livestream.com/internetsociety/kigf2017
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/kigf2017>
Kenya Internet Governance Forum 2017 by Internet Society
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/kigf2017>
livestream.com
Watch Internet Society's Kenya Internet Governance Forum 2017 on
Livestream.com. The Kenya IGF is a unique platform for all stakeholders to
openly exchange perspectives and concerns on key issues that may affect the
future of the Internet for millions of Kenyans. Kenya’s 2017 IGF is
scheduled for July 6th, 2017, and the outcomes will feed into the Global
IGF slated for December 2017 in Geneva, Switzerland. The global theme for
this year’s IGF is “Shape Your Digital Future!” while the local theme is
"Internet and Elections".

KIGF facebook page: https://mobile.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=
1401553113226347&id=879613905420273&_rdr
<https://mobile.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1401553113226347&id=879613905420273&_rdr>
Kenya IGF
<https://mobile.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1401553113226347&id=879613905420273&_rdr>
mobile.facebook.com
Kenya Internet Governance Forum 2017: The Kenya IGF is a unique platform
for all stakeholders to openly exchange perspectives and concerns on key
issues that may affect the future of the Internet for...

You can also get highlights of both online and offline discussions from the
kigf.or.ke blog

Pictures of the event and session videos will be shared in due course.

Once again thank for your contribution. We look forward to your
participation again next year.

Sincerely

GG

*For the KICTANet steering team*

----------------------

*Grace Githaiga*

Twitter: @ggithaiga

Skype: gracegithaiga

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gracegithaiga

.*..**the most important office in a democracy is the citizen. So, you see,
that’s what our democracy demands. It needs you!----Barrack Obama.*

mailman/options/kictanet/athapir%40gmail.com

The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform for
people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.

KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors
online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and bandwidth,
share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do
not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.