[kictanet] 'Genericide': When brands get too big, Local Brands?

Gideon gideonrop at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 11:30:50 EAT 2017

I stumbled upon this interesting article on IP

What do escalators, asprin and yo-yos have in common? They're all victims
of 'genericide'. Rhodri Marsden explores the perils of ubiquity for
products; ...

>From the article, one of the most regularly used verbs in the 21st century
that shouldn't be used as a verb at all is "to google". When we refer to
"googling" for products and services, we generally mean visiting google.com
and typing in a query – but it could equally mean searching the internet by
other means, too. There was a point where Larry Page and Sergey Brin,
Google's founders, would have embraced the idea of their brand into a verb;
indeed, the first reference found to "googling" occurs within something
posted online by Page himself on 8 July 1998.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-
features/genericide-when-brands-get-too-big-2295428.html

​est,
Rop.​