[kictanet] PRE KIGF ONLINE DISCUSSIONS DAY 5: ICT IN THE COUNTIES

Adam Lane adam.lane at huawei.com
Tue Jul 4 08:45:15 EAT 2017

From my experience, the counties’ ICT Departments seem to lack the capacity or funding to implement ICT initiatives well. Even more importantly they seem to struggle to coordinate with other departments in the County that could use ICT effectively. Hopefully the idea of taking PDTP to the County level can help overcome these issues: provide highly skilled talent in the ICT Departments and in the other County Government Departments, whilst also providing job opportunities/talent pipeline for ICT graduates.

Another challenge is the procurement issues (politics, processes, budgets); particularly around maintaining or supporting ICT solutions rather than just seeing them as a one-off.

On a positive note, some of the Counties do seem to have some very motivated and passionate ICT officers, they are just constrained by the Department itself and its position in the County government hierarchy/resourcing.