[kictanet] Updates on the Operationalization of the Universal Service Fund

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at kictanet.or.ke
Fri Jan 20 09:31:33 EAT 2017

    Dear Rachael

Thank you so much for the updates. Like we said in our end of year ICT
review meeting, CA continues to demonstrate that public participation
in policy making is doable.

Now to my questions:

The USF has been in place for the last five years. The fund currently
is holding 4.9 B and only 1.5 is budgeted for. Meaning that there is a
balance of 3.4B somewhere (and probably accruing interest and more
money coming in).

Collins has given us a 'situation on the ground' in Kilifi. Meaning
that there is much more that can be done, and many other projects that
can benefit.

1. Isn't this fund not under performing?

2. Would it be useful to have the USF avail its stratetic plan to the
community?

3. Would the USF be willing to crowd source for ideas from the
community on various ways of execution and priority projects?

4. How can the USF collaborate with International players like
Facebook and Google towards expanding connectivity? These players
already have a global programs of bringing connectivity to various
undeserved parts of the World. Would it be possible to have a meetings
of minds between such players and Kenya?

What we would like to see are conscious efforts to compliment the
players on the ground expand internet connectivity in mashinani.

And lastly, and considering the fund has enough resources, it must
deliver in a timely and expeditious  manner. Speed and efficiency
should be the fund's maxim.

Ni hayo tu kwa sasa.

Best regards

Githaiga, Grace