[kictanet] Updates on the Operationalization of the Universal Service Fund

Alwala, Rachel Alwala at ca.go.ke
Thu Jan 19 23:56:52 EAT 2017

Hi Ali,

Your questions below refer.

Please note:

1. Are the above statistics realistic in the true sense of the word? What I mean is this:-
If you take Garissa, Wajir and Mandera where coverage is less than 10% I wonder whether taking into account huge parts of these counties (or any other county for that matter) that are probably not inhabited is realistic? Wouldn't it be more realistic to  take account coverage in areas where there is a sizable population?
The    The data used to arrive at the 2G and 3G coverage are derived from the ICT Access Gaps Study of 2016. The percentage coverage by Counties are based on population data and not geographic / land area. The land coverage for the respective counties is way below the population figures. In order to extend coverage to most people within the unserved counties, the Authority has reviewed the requirements for USF related projects to focus more on populations rather than the geographic areas. In addition, the Authority intends to engage county and community leadership  to identify security hot spots to be covered by voice infrastructure services.

/ co2. In counties like Kilifi, Lamu and Kwale where reliable connectivity is a joke a few miles from the county headquarters it would be good to hear from the USF what they intend to do about this. Whilst empowering a few schools with connectivity is a great idea I think we are missing out on great opportunities and progress where we lack high speed Internet.
For USF voice infrastructure projects, the strategy is same as above (Q1). For Education broadband connectivity to schools, the Authority has designed to provide education broadband connectivity to all secondary schools ( about 7000 schools) in Kenya with the first phase of the project designed to provide 5 Mbps to 896 schools spread across the 47 counties within the current FY 2016/17 and subsequently roll-out to cover all the schools through a phased approach. This project is being implemented through a framework of partnership with the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology.  The schools were selected based on internet readiness.
3. How are we doing in lighting up the dark fiber that is NOFBI? What incentives are there for the likes of Safaricom, Liquid, Jamii, Airtel, Orange and the mushrooming community ISPs to give them the push to unleash broadband in the furthest corners of this country?
NOFBI is being managed by Telkom Kenya Ltd with funding from ICT Authority (ICTA can provide you with further clarifications).
4. How much is currently sitting in the USF? What is the utilization levels, burn rates and the efficacy of the projects they have undertaken? In short can we a financial statements from the beginning to date?
The USF has collected KES. 4.9Billion of which KES. 1.5B is planned for use on voice infrastructure projects expansion and schools broadband connectivity within the current FY 2016/17. Based on the foregoing and the USF contracted awards.  The first year of USF implementation is expected to consume KES. 1.5Billion.
5. Lastly, as we work hard to cover this country with Broadband can the USF consider offering WiFi zones of high speed Internet in EVERY COUNTY at hugely subsidized prices to enable citizens access eGovernment Services? A good place to start would be in ALL Huduma Centres and say within a 3 km radio of every Huduma Centre?
The ICT Access Gaps study identified a number of gaps in the communication sector but only prioritized the closure of voice and data gaps in the short term. The proposed approaches are supporting voice infrastructure roll-out and broadband connectivity to the education sector. There is no need of duplicating the Huduma Center projects by USF since they are being implemented by the Public Service, Youth & Gender Affairs Ministry.

Hope this answers your enquiry.  Please feel free to engage us.

Regards,

Rachel Alwala
Assistant Director/Communications and External Affairs
Communications Authority of Kenya
PO Box 14448
Nairobi 00800

Tel:  +254 703042000