[kictanet] ICT Authority, not Treasury, should oversee IFMIS

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Wed Jan 18 13:55:02 EAT 2017

Hi Walu - I do not agree with you that access administration (passwords)
is a technical function. In most cases passwords just mimic
authorization structures that pre-exist in a manual system. It is very
important that the access of technical people to a system, especially a
financial one, be as inhibited as possible. Those who access the system
should only be capable of doing the functions they would perform in a
manual system. To enhance security of the system, access administration
should be overseen by a most senior person who is NOT trained to do
technical work on the system.

I also differ with your suggestion that it is the work of technical
people to enforce, check or review system controls. That should be the
function of an independent auditor.

Overall I think there is much misunderstanding about IFMIS. The problem
is not technical; it is administrative. Specifically access
administration (passwords).

W.

>>> http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/ blogs/dot9/walubengo/2274560-[5]3520560-
>>> 5j04aq/index.html ______________________________
>>> http://twitter.com/kictanetFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/
>>> KICTANet/[7] Unsubscribe or change your options at
>>> https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/info%

Links:

   1. http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
   2. https://publicadministration.un.org/egovkb/en-us/Reports/UN-E-Government-Survey-2016