[kictanet] KENYA POWER'S HUGE APPETITE FOR DEBT IS A RECIPE FOR DISASTER

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Wed Jan 11 07:20:40 EAT 2017

Listers

My attention has been drawn to this article in today's nation. I will not
dwell on the financial side of this story at the risk of boring people on
this list. My attention was rather drawn to a part of the story which has
interesting implications on the National Broadband Strategy which was
launched a few years ago with much fanfare during Hon. Matiangi's tenure.

To quote the article:-

*The question is pertinent because I just recently came across a copy of a
memorandum of understanding between the Chinese company ZTE and the
Ministry of Energy and Petroleum which the parties have signed to finance
and build a national grid fibre access on Kenya Power’s transmission and
distribution network.*

Kenya Power's fibre ambitions
<http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/Opinion/Kenya-Power-s-huge-appetite-for-debt-is-a-recipe-for-disaster/440808-3512708-format-xhtml-8c48rrz/index.html>

I'm curious.

1. Does this new network compliment the NOFBI?
2. What is the business plan for this new network?
3. Does anyone have any details on this project?
4. Is the MOICT coordinating this with the Energy Ministry?

Regards

*Ali Hussein*

*Principal*

*Hussein & Associates*

Tel: +254 713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

<http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>

13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,

Chiromo Road, Westlands,

Nairobi, Kenya.

Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
organizations that I work with.