[kictanet] Consumer protection a means of cutting Safaricom’s dominance

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 11:28:11 EAT 2017

@Barrack,
Unlike columnist Jaindi, i dont have the benefit of the leaked dominance report.  So unable to confidently take a position on the report.
However, I partly agree with Ali that the market has changed since the KPTC days (of the 1990s). Safaricom, just like Airtel and others may have been telecommunication companies then, but today they are more of ICT companies than they are traditional telcos (read voice providers).
The regulatory instruments and parameters for managing telcos in the 90s/early 2000s are therefore inadequate in dealing with todays dynamic ICT/Internet environment. There is need to have new regulatory instruments that can adequately interrogate todays ICT markets.
So once I get the dominance report, I would be keen to understand whether the Consultants recommendations are informed by a  telco-focused regulatory instruments or are based on the new ICT realities. So in answering @Barrack, it is difficult to tell whether splitting Safcom is good or not, unless we understand what were the methodologies used to arrive at such decisions.
So I hope Racheal/CA will give us the detailed official report sooner, rather than later.
walu.