[kictanet] Press Statement By CA on DMS - rev 1.doc

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at kictanet.or.ke
Fri Feb 17 23:21:45 EAT 2017

    Thanks Rachael for sharing this statement.

The statement notes that  _"All mobile operators will be required to
connect to the DMS and ensure that blacklisted devices do not access
mobile services. This process was initiated with the understanding of
the operators through a consultative process from the
conceptualization stage."  _Is there more than meets the eye? Why
would operators then not support a process that commenced with their
understanding and in which they participated? We need honestly here.

Further, in an article carried by the Daily Nation today, CA seems to
be taking a hard line stance or should I say showing some intolerance/
impatience? See below an excerpt:

Monitoring of mobile phone networks to take effect - agency says

_"Defending the Device Management System (DMS), Communication
Authority Director-General Francis Wangusi said he would not stop its
implementation, not even for public consultation._

_Mr Wangusi said the DMS had been in the works for almost a year and
that consultation with mobile operators was sufficient."_

Kenya's 2010 Constitution provides for public participation but this
article seems to be suggesting that according to CA, selective
participation makes things right? This issue of monitoring will
involve the public and therefore is of public interest. Operators are
meant to facilitate the process. This system therefore need some form
of vetting and CA which has been known to engage needs to uphold this
value and continue consulting.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Agency-to-proceed-with-communication-surveillance-plan/1056-3817532-lvjbez/index.html

Best regards

Githaiga, Grace