[kictanet] ³Talk to Safaricom² Responses to Day 1 Questions - Request to USF/CA and Telcos

Alwala, Rachel Alwala at ca.go.ke
Thu Feb 16 08:02:48 EAT 2017

Thanks for the proposal Mwendwa.  We shall put the proposal to our technical team.

Rachel

From: <lordmwesh at gmail.com<mailto:lordmwesh at gmail.com>> on behalf of Mwendwa Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com<mailto:Kivuva at transworldafrica.com>>
Date: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 11:14 PM
To: KICTAnet Discussions <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke<mailto:kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>>
Cc: Mwendwa Kivuva <kivuva at transworldafrica.com<mailto:kivuva at transworldafrica.com>>, Rachel <alwala at ca.go.ke<mailto:alwala at ca.go.ke>>
Subject: Re: [kictanet] ³Talk to Safaricom² Responses to Day 1 Questions - Request to USF/CA and Telcos

On 15 February 2017 at 19:41, Alwala, Rachel via kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke<mailto:kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>> wrote:
You will also recall that in a previous posting, I mentioned that the study deliverables included an online ICT Gaps geo-portal. The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) portal is one-stop online interactive platform created by the Communications Authority of Kenya to provide a view of the different layers of ICT coverage in Kenya. The Geo-Portal will be updated on a regular basis and will assist the Authority in the identification of the gaps for each service area by giving GPS coordinates for selected Universal Service clusters (access gaps) and required areas of intervention. The portal will also be used to determine the extent of communication coverage and the access levels by citizens. The map has been populated with different information layers such as Telecom (3G and 2G coverage from the 3 operators), postal network, broadcasting, Fibre routes, transportation, administrative boundaries, education health facilities, and electricity networks.  The link is available on the website but for your ease, you can click here to access it.http://kenyageoportal.ca.go.ke/ca_public/flash/?

Rachel, this tool is a gem in the rough. http://kenyageoportal.ca.go.ke/ca_public/flash/? I absolutely love it bigly. I wish it could be ported to a more responsive and UX friendly map platform. The LAYERS facility that enables a user to filter different infrastructure components is great. I know of people who vacate houses in Nairobi in search of reliable fibre network. Now here lies the solution.

Regards
Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
twitter.com/lordmwesh<http://twitter.com/lordmwesh>